Identity

Thursday, September 21, 2006

I had a good time at dinner today. You know why? Because my parents are pretty much hilarious.
This woman called from Municipal Gas. Everytime someone calls from some business that involves selling something, giving something etc. my mom rolls her eyes and gets ready to be discouraging, rude and uninterested. My dad is always polite. This phone call was for him. My dad answers the phone, and looks at me wiggling his eyebrows, to which my mom whispers to me "it's a woman"
My dad I can tell is in a bit of a fun mood, but he's being very polite answering "yessss" and such appropriate answer to questions. I must compare this to my mom's way of dealing with people on the phone, right away she hurridly interrupts saying something like "AHHHH you know what No, Nope, NO BYE" So my dad continues on with this politeness. We hear him say "well I'm home tonight but someone's coming over" My mom is frantically whispering and mouthing to him that we're not signing anything for them and giving all sorts of information. My dad continues listening to the woman on the phone. "Renew the contract?" He says in a questioning voice. I don't know if he knew the reaction that would come from mom at that point, but he certainly wasn't surprised when it came, mom leans forward, she's about one foot away from the phone "I ALREADY TOLD THEM IT WAS FINISHED THREE MONTHS AGO!!!" She's incredibly angry (I didn't find out until later it wasn't completely innappropriate anger because she's had to pay for an extra 3 months because they needed the finished thing in writing) Anyways, my dad, face still in the same serene expression says calmly and quietly "Oh apparantly it's finished" as if the person on the other line hadn't heard what my mom yelled into the phone and felt her seething anger. I absolutely could not help bursting out laughing, and I couldn't get scolded by my mom either because she'd just yelled into the phone. By the time my dad hangs up the phone I've realized that he was playing the whole thing (something my mom hadn't caught on to either) If he'd really cared about being polite he would have frowned at mom when she yelled and me when I laughed. Yeah, he hung up the phone and started laughing hysterically with me. Mom got it then to and joined in but they still talked about it for 10 minutes afterwards, because mom believes he shouldn't have led the woman to believe he was considering resigning the contract. My dad said his way was more fun.

10 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Your parents are funny, Cheryl.

Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:41:00 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

that is a pretty funny story

Thursday, September 21, 2006 9:57:00 PM  
Blogger Rebs said...

I love your dad - I really could picture that whole thing..

Friday, September 22, 2006 8:24:00 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

Way to go, Janice!

Saturday, September 23, 2006 7:51:00 AM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

wow, that story was hilarious. i was laughing out loud in a public place, which is always just a little bit uncomfortable for everybody else, but it couldn't be helped. i also love the fact that mom then made an equally long reply giving her side of the story, especially the gory details about how horrible the gas reseller was. man, the things i'm missing out on

Monday, September 25, 2006 4:13:00 PM  
Blogger jpunk5 said...

oh, municipal gas. as soon as we moved in they came to our door, and told us we needed it. i didn't even know it was an option, so i signed up, thinking everybody has it, and it's a normal thing for all manitobans. after they left i promptly called my dad and my brother and they they that i didn't have to sign up if i didn't want to and that it's an option. wierd. they never mentioned that i didn't have to sign up. the very next day, i went to their offices on broadway and cancelled what i signed up for. whew. crisis avoided.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 8:33:00 AM  
Blogger Rebs said...

oh man, there should be a penner family blog - you guys are hilarious.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:20:00 AM  
Blogger Rebs said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:20:00 AM  
Blogger Rebs said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:20:00 AM  
Blogger Rebs said...

i'd like you to know that i'm not incompetent - blogger is being betarded today and posted my comment THREE times!! why?!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home